Wednesday, July 18, 2012

light filled

"I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society. When visitors came in larger and unexpected numbers there was but the third chair for them all, but they generally economised the room by standing up. It is surprising how many great men and women a small house will contain."
Walden - Henry David Thoreau

It has been a wet summer day. I have been working away from home today. There is so much that I am wanting to get done right now. Things that will help settle my mind and keep the house orderly - creative things, healthy things. All good and yet I am tied to my daily lists of things and the needs of the family. But for just a moment a glimpse of what is on my mind. I am writing this at the close of the day. Lily is puttering on the piano. Wilder and Atticus are scampering about. The house is a bit of a wreck. Tucker is reading and I am selfishly squeezing in a few lines....

This is a detail of a photo that I took of a little moment in the country with my girl and her friends. This young lady is a dear heart I have known since she was a wee thing. This image in its' entirety and in this detail is so dreamy to me. The light streamed through her to me from above the trees. Today as I sat listening to another of my friends speak about her specialty a note came across my desktop asking for photos for a project. It was a little hard not to want to jump into that but the conversation at hand was so good I was able to keep focused. However now that I am home and as I wander through my photos, some of these images filter in from my recent musings and I cannot help but be grateful for this gift of seeing that God has given. This gift of  sharing and conversation people have given me. I don't know at times why God has made me with this bent but I know that when I get to see my friends growing up and our lives and communities in play it makes me feel filled with light. And for this I am grateful. There is enough darkness in this world to know that when light happens we must celebrate it. God is good. Carpe diem.

1 comment:

Marianne Elixir said...

I enjoyed this post very much. Especially the photograph and Thoreau quote. It is wonderful to stop and see the light in the midst of our busy, mothering lives.